|AMHCA Diplomate Credential Requirements|
AMHCA Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist (DCMHS)
We recognize members that have achieved substantial professional accomplishments as an ‘AMHCA Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist’ (DCMHS). To become an AMHCA DCMHS an individual must meet the following requirements:
1. Licensing, Certification, and Experience. Demonstrate clinical mental health counselor licensing, certification and experience.
2. Advanced Practice as attested by Licensing, Certification, and Experience. Demonstrate clinical mental health counseling proficiency beyond the level of licensing with verifiable competence (e.g. CCMHC certification, post-master’s degree education, other certification, etc.)
3. Specialist Training and Experience. Demonstrate clinical mental health counselor expertise in one or more areas of specialization. Specialists are recognized in seven professional areas (see detailed descriptions of each specialty here):
Members who desire to qualify for the AMHCA DCMHS are required to 1) review the requirements listed below, 2) select one or more areas of specialization, 3) complete and submit the on-line application, and 4) submit application fees to AMHCA.
Professional development requirements are met by completing the online application. Applicants must possess documentation that attests to their qualifications (e.g. university transcripts, copies of professional licenses, continuing education hours certificates, etc.), or a signed statement by a supervisor or peer that the requirement was met. However, this documentation will not be directly submitted. The submitted online application is the applicant’s certification that all information in the application is true and accurate.
Although no documentation will be submitted with the AMHCA Diplomate application, copies must be made available to AMHCA if requested. The applicant will attach a resume or CV to the application as a Microsoft Word or PDF document that attests to the requirements in the application.
Please note that the term Clinical Mental Health Counselor applies to all individuals licensed to practice clinical counseling regardless of their official state title. The term does not apply to individuals who are not licensed such as school counselors or to those who engage in other types of counseling such career counseling, vocational rehabilitation counseling, or any counselor who is not licensed by their state to provide psychotherapeutic counseling services.
Requirements for AMHCA DCMHS Application
1. Licensing, Certification, and Experience. The successful applicant will demonstrate counselor competence which includes all of the following requirements:
A, Certify that you are licensed to the highest level of licensed counseling available in your state
B. Applicants must be licensed for a minimum of five years to be eligible for the diplomate.
C. Starting January 2019 all applicants will be required to pass the NCMHCE.
2. Advanced Practice. Advanced practice criteria require that the applicant meet two of the following requirements:
A. Service to the profession such as serving on a licensing or clinical credentialing board, or clinical professional organization board.
B. Additional credential: CCMHC, another independent practice license; credential in a related clinical field (Approved AAMFT Supervisor, ACS, LADAC, etc).
C. Additional experience that includes one of the following:
1. Three years of additional practice at the highest level of clinical licensing available in applicants’ state,
D. A doctorate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or a related field
3. Specialist Training. To be recognized as a counseling specialist in clinical mental health the applicant must complete all of the following requirements for each area of specialization:
A. Professional Development in the specialty area requires 120 hours of professional development specifically and primarily related to the specialty area.
1. One graduate semester credit hour successfully completed is equal to 15 professional development hours.
B. Certify that you have received a minimum of 10 hours of supervision by a supervisor qualified in that specialty area. Please provide name, address, license type and number of supervisor. This requirement is waived for applicants licensed or certified in the specialty area.
C. Applicants licensed or certified for independent practice for 5 years, without discipline, in an area directly related to the specialty applied for can document this license in lieu of documenting professional development hours in the specialty area (e.g. LMFT applying for Couples and Family specialization).
Candidates may apply for AMHCA Diplomate in more than one area. The application fee is $195.00 for the first area and $95.00 for each additional area filed at the same time. All application fees are non-refundable in the event that the AMHCA Diplomate is not awarded.
Selection Process for DCMHS
Process for awarding the AMHCA Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist (DCMHS):
7/27/2017 » 7/29/2017
2017 AMHCA Annual Conference