"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled" (Plutarch)
I believe learning is about providing an experience through which people can activate their previous experience and expertise, enhance their self-concept, develop autonomous learning skills, find a reason to learn, build intrinsic motivation, and actively reflect. As we reflect, this awareness compels us to act.
As Paulo Freire (1970/2005) once said, “…reflection—true reflection—leads to action” (p. 66).
One way that I take action is through research.
My current research interests include:
• Sense of community in online education.
• Neuroscience-informed cognitive behavioral therapy.
• Ally training programs.
• Neuromyths and neuroscience knowledge among helping professionals and educators.
• Intervention for cancer-caregivers.
• Attitudes towards suicide.
• Infusing the Research Domain Criteria in counseling research.